A major fire devastated Pacific Palisades. The Palisades Fire caused immense destruction. It killed 12 people. Thousands of homes were lost. Federal investigators say it reignited. It was a “holdover” from an earlier blaze. This was the Lachman Fire on January 1, 2025. Now, questions arise about the LAFD’s actions. Records contradict official claims. This news emerged in Los Angeles.
The Lachman Fire and Official Statements
The Lachman Fire was a smaller incident. It occurred on New Year’s Day. Firefighters declared it contained early. However, lingering concerns remained. Top Los Angeles Fire Department (LAFD) officials spoke out. Then-Interim Fire Chief Ronnie Villanueva made statements. He said crews returned to the burn area. This happened on January 3rd. They reportedly performed “cold-trailing.” This means feeling for heat. It involves digging out hot spots. Villanueva claimed they did “everything that we could do.” This was to ensure full extinguishment. He spoke in October 2025.
Dispatch Logs Show a Different Picture
However, official records paint a different picture. Dispatch logs from January 3rd exist. They show firefighters arrived at the scene. They reported “nothing showing”. The call was cleared quickly. This took only about 34 minutes. The log makes no mention of cold-trailing. It also does not detail any work performed. Furthermore, on January 2nd, firefighters were ordered to leave. This was the day after the Lachman Fire was contained.
Firefighters on scene had complaints. They told a battalion chief the ground was still smoldering. Rocks remained hot to the touch. Text messages reveal their concerns. They called leaving the scene a “bad idea”. The LAFD did not use thermal imaging. This technology could detect hidden hot spots.
Omissions and Victim Frustration
The LAFD’s official after-action report is under fire. It offers only a brief mention of the Lachman Fire. Key details are missing. This includes firefighter warnings. It also omits the decision to leave the smoldering site. This lack of transparency fuels anger. Palisades fire victims seek answers. They face contradictory and incomplete information. This conflict intensifies their frustration. The news of these discrepancies offers little comfort.
Leadership Changes and Scrutiny
These revelations have led to increased scrutiny. Mayor Karen Bass has called for investigations. She removed LAFD Chief Kristin Crowley in February 2025. Ronnie Villanueva was appointed interim Chief. He had previously retired from the department.
Critics question the LAFD investigating itself. They advocate for an independent review. There are also allegations. California State Parks officials may have restricted mop-up operations. This was allegedly due to concerns over sensitive plants. However, State Parks denies obstructing firefighting efforts.
Ongoing Questions and Accountability
The LAFD acknowledged communication and staffing challenges. These issues impacted the Palisades Fire response. They also noted fiscal responsibility factored into staffing. This meant not holding over all off-duty members.
The discrepancies between LAFD statements and records raise serious questions. They concern command decisions and post-fire assessments. Thorough mop-up is vital in wildland firefighting. This is especially true with increasing fire risks. The investigation into the Lachman Fire’s handling continues. Many in Los Angeles await clear answers and accountability. This popular news story highlights critical issues for the city. The future of public trust in the LAFD hangs in the balance.
